Monday, January 17, 2011

From One to Many

The Philadelphia Museum of Art West Entrance 

Artwork done with Silkscreen on Polished Stainless Steel
Inserting myself in the composition.
Shirt: Simply Vera Vera Wang, Pants: Zara,
Boots: Nine West Vintage America 
Hello, friends.  Today, in this photo-heavy post, I am doing something I rarely do; I am posting about an experience the same day I had it (a public service, if you will).  Today, finally, I made it to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to see the Michelangelo Pistoletto: From One to Many exhibit.  Unfortunately as much as you might like to view this exhibit after I tell you about it, today was the last day to see it.  Hopefully you made your way down to the Museum Circle any regular non-Monday in the past 3 months, viewed it, and are happy to be reading my review.     

As you know, whenever I have a chance, I enjoy looking at art, but find modern art, with the exception of pop-art, (wow this is a long sentence) a bit over rated.  Pistoletto, on the the other hand, made modern art awesome.  Beginning with his shiny, metallic, or lacquered canvases and continuing with ever evolving "mirror images" executed with painted tissue paper, photographs, and silkscreens on polished steel, he studied the relationship between the viewer and the composition.  He also made interesting sculptures, and films/performances with his troupe Lo Zoo that left me thinking: "What??" and shaking my head at the explanations provided.  Nevertheless he made some really great art.  One day, when I am decorating my apartment, it would be nice to install on of his pieces in a prominent spot in my living room.
  

Snood and Coat: J. Crew, Bag: Hype


This outing was fallowed by a great lunch of mushroom and barley soup and half a grilled veggie sandwich with a chocolate almond latte at the Regency Cafe.  Feast your eyes.  Hope you have a happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

No comments: