Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Read into It



Have you ever walked in the bookstore and gazed at a beautiful coffee-table book that detailed the life and work of your favorite designer? Did you ever decide that you were going to purchase one of these books only to find that it had at $95+ price tag. Did you ever place the book down and walk out of the store with a small tear in you eye? I know all about that. I also know that some of the best fashion books are quite affordable. In honor of World Book Day I am showcasing The Sartorialist by Scott Schuman and Fashion Illustration by Fashion Designers by Laird Borrelli. These books offer a lot of inspiration for not a lot of money.


As soon I found out that Schuman's book was available for pre-order at Barnes&Noble.com I quickly grabbed my gift card and logging into the site. I purchased it at a discounted price at 11:45 pm on a night in July and waited eagerly for it to arrive in August. This fabulous paperback contains many of Mr. Schuman's greatest photographs and is only $25. Even if you don't have a computer at the ready, you can revisit the looks that drew you to his blog in the first place. Anytime I am looking for outfit inspiration this book is one of the first sources I consult.



Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci Illustrations

I purchased Fashion Illustration by Fashion Designers on a trip to NYC a couple of years ago. It is quite an impressive compilation of fashion sketches by some of the world's leading designers and those that are lesser known. For someone who enjoys sketching, it was interesting for me to see the different styles and mediums that these designers use and the role sketching plays in their design processes. Not only does this book contain illustrations, it also includes blurbs about the designers and their backgrounds. At $40 this quality hardback is a good value. These books may not have many words, but they provide the reader with infinite inspiration.


That is a good book which is opened with
expectation and closed in profit.
~ Amos Bronson Alcott ~

*And the collection I raved about in my last post is Pucci, but you already knew that didn't you?

No comments: